Constance Marten defends living with baby in tent as 'Jesus survived in a barn' | N2J5DDY | 2024-03-15 11:08:01
A mum on trial over her baby daughter's demise has defended her determination to reside with the new child in a tent in the midst of winter, saying: 'Jesus survived in a barn.'
Constance Marten, 36, and her associate Mark Gordon, 49, are on trial after their baby Victoria died whereas they have been tenting within the South Downs last winter.
Marten has been grilled concerning the couple's determination to purchase a tent and reside off the grid, hiding from authorities as they feared Victoria can be taken into care, as their four other youngsters had been.
Marten claimed two of her older youngsters had been 'spat on' and physically abused whereas in care.
She informed the Previous Bailey that Bedouin households stroll by means of chilly deserts with youngsters, including: 'Jesus survived in a barn. I might do anything to guard my youngster to stop her being taken by the system that's abhorrent, yeah.
'I have grown up with luxurious, I have been blessed in that respect. I like feathered duvets and luxury.
'I might do something for my child. Something. So it was a simple determination to make. I might moderately be in an opulent bed in a palace. I might quite be in a pleasant massive mattress.'
Prosecutor Joel Smith asked if she thought-about the circumstances have been uncomfortable.
Marten replied: 'I'm pretty outdoorsy however I might quite be in a bed.
'We were not trying to stay in a tent. We have been appearing on intuition. She was our primary precedence. We have been dwelling in a tent for Victoria.
'A mother's love for her youngster is extremely robust. There was no means I used to be going to half with my youngster. We have been hiding from the complete British public because I used to be fearful about Victoria being taken.'
Marten accepted that tenting in a tent meant there was no heating, scorching water or electrical energy.
However she stated: 'Individuals all over the world reside in circumstances like that… as long as your baby is nicely taken care of and beloved.'
Asked what they planned to do about meals, she stated: 'It was only a pitstop. We were not interested by being there for months. It was more in the immediacy fairly than long-term planning.'
Marten repeatedly dismissed as 'ridiculous' the prosecution suggestion that she had carried her daughter in a Lidl 'bag for life' when she was alive.
She stated: "This entire line of reasoning is absurd, that she is alive in the bag.
'I'm not going to place her alive in a Lidl bag, I'm sorry.'
Earlier, Marten turned agitated when asked a few teddy bear babygrow Victoria was sporting in CCTV footage from east London which was later among gadgets recovered together with her 'dumped' physique.
She insisted Victoria was not 'dumped' within the Lidl bag, telling jurors: 'It's terrible, I do know. The one thing I can say, if somebody passes away the quick reaction is panic. Mark and I were not in a great place. We have been in worry and grief.
'She was not dumped anyplace. She was with us the entire time.'
British couple found dead on Caribbean beach are named
Harry and Meghan accused of being hypocrites over their own edited pictures
Soldier's body found in river after he 'got into wrong car' at end of night out
Mr Smith asserted the couple have been 'hideously ill-prepared' to look after Victoria.
The defendant, who described Gordon as her 'superb husband', informed jurors: 'We had sufficient to keep her warm, absolutely. She was our number one priority.'
The defendants, of no fastened tackle, deny manslaughter by gross negligence, perverting the course of justice, concealing the delivery of a kid, youngster cruelty and causing or allowing the demise of a kid.
The trial continues.
Get in touch with our news workforce by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
More >> https://ift.tt/1EJhRgi Source: MAG NEWS