BRAVE MAG

BRAVE MAG

ShowBiz & Sports

Hot

Monday, May 18, 2026

Shakira Acquitted in Tax Case as Spanish Government Must Return $70 Million: 'There Was Never Any Fraud,' Says Singer

May 18, 2026
Shakira Acquitted in Tax Case as Spanish Government Must Return $70 Million: 'There Was Never Any Fraud,' Says Singer

Shakira has been acquitted of tax fraud related to her 2011 income by the Spanish High Court

People Shakira in July 2025Credit: Stefanie Keenan/Getty

NEED TO KNOW

  • A rep for Shakira tells PEOPLE the Spanish government must now return over €60 million (about $70 million) to the "Hips Don't Lie" singer

  • In a statement, Shakira criticized the tax agency's handling of her case, calling it a decade-long campaign to damage her reputation

Shakirahas been acquitted of tax fraud related to her 2011 income by the Spanish High Court.

The ruling was set on Monday, May 18, according toReutersand theBBC, with Spain's High Court overturning the €55 million (about $64 million) fine imposed in 2021 by the Spanish tax agency. A rep for Shakira tells PEOPLE the Spanish government must now return over €60 million (about $70 million) to the "Hips Don't Lie" singer, 49.

According to Shakira's rep, authorities were unable to prove the four-time Grammy winner spent 183 days in Spain in 2011, the minimum required amount for residents to pay personal income tax in the country. The ruling does not affect tax years after 2011, per Reuters and the BBC.

Shakira in May 2026Credit: Noam Galai/Getty

According to Reuters, the Spanish tax agency previously argued Shakira was linked to the country due to her previous relationship with Spanish former professional soccer player Gerard Piqué, with whom she shares sons Milan, 13, and Sasha, 11.

Shakira said in a statement, "After more than eight years of enduring brutal public targeting, orchestrated campaigns to destroy my reputation, and sleepless nights that ultimately impacted my health and my family's well-being, the National High Court has finally set the record straight."

"There was never any fraud, and the Administration itself could never prove otherwise, simply because it wasn't true," continued the "She Wolf" artist. "Yet, for nearly a decade, I was treated as guilty. Every step of the process was leaked, distorted, and amplified, using my name and public image to send a threatening message to the rest of the taxpayers."

Shakira added, "Today, that narrative crumbles, and it does so with the full force of a court ruling. My greatest wish is that this ruling sets a precedent for the Treasury and serves the thousands of ordinary citizens who are abused and crushed every day by a system that presumes their guilt and forces them to prove their innocence at the cost of economic and emotional ruin. This victory is dedicated to them."

Advertisement

José Luis Prada, a lawyer for Shakira and Managing Partner of Prada Tax Advisors, said in a statement, "This resolution comes after an eight-year ordeal that has taken an unacceptable toll, reflecting a highly flawed administrative practice."

Prada continued, "Shakira had the strength and resources to see this through to the end, but this modus operandi suffocates many ordinary taxpayers who do not have the means to defend themselves. For this reason, it is an immense relief and a source of deep pride to witness the rigor and independence of our courts."

Shakira in May 2025Credit: Getty Images

His statement concluded, "It comforts us to see that, when faced with unacceptable administrative stances, we can rely on a justice system that truly works and ensures the rule of law."

In November 2023,Shakira agreed to pay a $7.5 million fineand avoided a possible prison sentence after she was accused by prosecutors of six counts of tax fraud for failing to pay 14.5 million euro ($15.8 million) in income taxes between 2012 and 2014. At the time, she maintained her innocence and explained she settled the case for the sake of her sons.

In May 2024, Spanish prosecutorsdropped tax fraud charges against Shakirarelated to her 2018 income.

The "Whenever, Wherever" musician is currently gearing up for the next North American leg of her Las Mujeres Ya No Lloran World Tour throughout June and July. She'll then wrap the tour with 12 shows at Madrid's Shakira Stadium in September and October.

Read the original article onPeople

Read More

How John Oliver supported Stephen Colbert on new 'Last Week Tonight'

May 18, 2026
How John Oliver supported Stephen Colbert on new 'Last Week Tonight'

Stephen Colbert'slate-night pals are making sure his grand farewell gets as many eyes as possible.

USA TODAY

John Oliverended the latest episode of "Last Week Tonight" on May 17 with a plug not for his own show, but for Colbert's. As the credits rolled, Oliver shared his love for the outgoing "Late Show" host and urged viewers to watch his last four episodes this week.

"That's our show. Thank you so much for watching," Oliver said. "We're off next week, back on May 31st. Please enjoy Colbert's final shows. He's the f------ best."

All of the major late-night hosts have been rallying around Colbert as he gets ready to sign off "The Late Show," which CBScontroversially canceledlast year. The show's final episode will air Thursday, May 21.

John Oliver attends the Garden of Laughs at Radio City Music Hall on April 13, 2026, in New York City.

Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel, whose shows air at the same time as Colbert's on NBC and ABC, respectively, both previously announced theywould broadcast rerunson May 21 so as not to take the spotlight away from the "Late Show" finale. While announcing the scheduling change, NBC described this as a "sign of late-night solidarity."

Colbert replacementByron Allen reveals what 'Late Show' host texted him

Oliver, Fallon, Kimmel and NBC'sSeth Meyers all sat down with Colberton May 11 to salute him on a great run and bemoan the end of "The Late Show." The comedians previously hostedthe "Strike Force Five" podcasttogether in 2023 while their shows were shut down during the writers' strike.

Advertisement

During the interview, Kimmel said it's "such a tragedy" that "The Late Show" was canceled, while Fallon said it's "odd the way it ended for you" and a "bummer because I wanted to do this longer with you." But Oliver, in the spirit of his HBO show, offered a blunter reaction.

"You're talking in network television [terms]," Oliver said to Kimmel and Fallon. "'It's odd. It's a surprise.' As someone from a different area of television, I can say, it was some fresh [expletive]."

John Oliver, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel on

Oliver previously spoke out about the end of "The Late Show"when the news first broke in July, telling The Associated Press, "It's very sad. Obviously, I love Stephen, I love his staff, I love that show. It's incredibly sad. I am partly excited to see what they're going to do for the next 10 months, but yeah, it's terrible, terrible news for the world of comedy."

Stephen Colbertreveals his final guests on 'The Late Show'

Colbert'slast week of shows will includeappearances byJon Stewart,Steven Spielberg,David ByrneandBruce Springsteen. On May 20, he'll also take his own "Colbert Questionert," a series of mostly lighthearted questions he has asked celebrities over the years, and according to CBS' schedule, the segment will feature "special guests."

No guests have been announced for the final episode of "The Late Show," though if the star-studded finale of Colbert's Comedy Central show "The Colbert Report" is anything to go by, fans should expect some surprise, A-list cameos.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY:John Oliver shows support for Stephen Colbert 'Late Show' finale

Read More

Sunday, May 17, 2026

Israeli strikes kill four people in Gaza, medics say

May 17, 2026
Israeli strikes kill four people in Gaza, medics say

CAIRO, May 17 (Reuters) - Israeli strikes killed at least four Palestinians in the Gaza Strip on Sunday, health officials said.

Reuters Mourners carry a body during the funeral of Palestinians who were killed in an Israeli strike, according to medics, in Gaza City, May 17, 2026. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas Mourners carry the bodies of Palestinians who were killed in an Israeli strike, according to medics, in Gaza City, May 17, 2026. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas

Funeral of Palestinians killed in an Israeli strike, according to medics, in Gaza City

Israel has stepped up attacks in Gaza ‌in the weeks since halting its joint bombing with the U.S. in Iran, ‌redirecting its fire back on the devastated Palestinian territory, where the military says Hamas fighters are tightening their ​grip.

Medics said an Israeli strike killed one Palestinian near a police post in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip on Sunday. The Israeli military said it killed a militant who posed an immediate threat to forces operating in the area.

Separately, Gaza medics said another Israeli airstrike ‌killed at least three people at ⁠a community kitchen near Al-Aqsa Hospital in Deir Al-Balah, in the central Gaza area. The Israeli military did not immediately comment on that ⁠incident.

On Saturday, the Israeli military said that Izz al-Din al-Haddad, the head of Hamas' armed wing in the Gaza Strip, was killed in what it described as a precise strike on Gaza City ​on ​Friday.

Hamas confirmed Haddad's death but stopped short of ​threatening revenge.

HAMAS COMMANDER KILLED IN CAR

Advertisement

Later ‌on Sunday, the Israeli military said it had also killed Bahaa Baroud, a Hamas Operations Headquarters commander, in an airstrike on Saturday, accusing him of planning multiple imminent attacks against troops and Israeli civilians, particularly in recent weeks.

The military said Baroud posed an immediate threat and was targeted in a precise strike, adding that measures were taken beforehand to reduce civilian ‌harm, including the use of precision munitions and ​aerial surveillance.

Gaza health officials said Baroud, along with another ​person, was killed in an Israeli airstrike ​that targeted their car in Gaza City.

Israel and Hamas remain deadlocked ‌in indirect talks to advance U.S. President ​Donald Trump's post-war plan ​for Gaza that is meant to end more than two years of fighting.

Some 870 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli strikes since the October ceasefire, according to figures ​that do not distinguish between ‌combatants and civilians. Four Israeli soldiers were killed by militants during the same ​period.

Hamas does not disclose figures for casualties among its fighters.

(Reporting by Nidal ​al-Mughrabi; Editing by Kirsten Donovan and Alex Richardson)

Read More