BRAVE MAG

ShowBiz & Sports

Hot

Saturday, February 21, 2026

As measles outbreaks grow, Florida grad student describes 'full-body rash' and trip to ER

February 21, 2026
As measles outbreaks grow, Florida grad student describes 'full-body rash' and trip to ER

The U.S. has officially logged982 measles cases in 2026, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday. It's more than four times the number of cases as this time last year, when alarge outbreak was just beginning in West Texas.

NBC Universal A young man holds a thermometer to a girl's forehead as she sits in the back seat of a car. He's wearing scrubs, a mask, and rubber gloves. (The Washington Post via Getty Images)

Twenty-six states have reported cases so far this year. Large outbreaks continue to grow inUtah, Arizonaand, most notably, South Carolina, where the virus has been spreading since the fall. As of Friday, the state had reported nearly 800 cases since January, bringing the outbreak's total to 973.

It's thelargest single measles outbreakthe U.S. has seen in a generation. South Carolina state epidemiologist Dr. Linda Bell said that at least 20 people had been hospitalized.

"These hospitalizations involve both adults and children," Bell said during a call with reporters on Wednesday. "Additional cases required medical care for measles but were not hospitalized."

A sign reads DO NOT ENTER with graphic illustrations of people experiencing illness.  (Sean Rayford / Getty Images)

According to the CDC, more than 1 in 10 measles cases in 2025 resulted in hospitalization. Most of those were children and teenagers.

In Florida, cases are also rising: The state's health department has reported 92 cases since the beginning of the year. Sixty-six of those cases are in Collier County, and largely clustered at Ave Maria University, near Naples.

Graduate student Blaise Carney toldNBC affiliate station WBBHthat he was one of the first on campus to get sick last month.

"It started with an ear infection," Carney said. "And then it proceeded with sniffles, sore throat and all the rest. And then I just progressively got worse, until I was in the ER and had a full-body rash."

Carney said he was diagnosed with measles and strep throat at the same time and got intravenous fluids in the ER. He didn't need to be admitted to the hospital, and instead isolated himself in his dorm, where he said he stayed in bed for a week.

Carney said he had been vaccinated against the virus as a child.

Advertisement

Two doses of measles vaccine — one given around age 1 and the second around age 5 — are97% effective in preventing measles, usually for life, according to the CDC. That means that 3% of people can get measles even after vaccination.

Despite his illness, Carney said, the statistics overwhelmingly favor the shots.

"If you're not vaccinated, go ahead and get vaccinated," he said. "It might not protect you 100%, but it's your best shot."

The vast majority of measles cases are among unvaccinated people.

Though most people recover, some developlong-term health problemsafter their telltale rash clears. The virus targets cells that play key roles in a person's immune system, leaving them vulnerable to subsequent illnesses.

In rare cases, people can go on to develop dangerous brain inflammation seven to 10 years after a measles infection. The condition, called subacute sclerosing panencephalitis, or SSPE, is almost always fatal.

On Saturday, doctors at Children's Hospital of Orange County in California described the details of one casein the New England Journal of Medicine.

It involved a 7-year-old boy who went to the hospital following several months of seizures and cognitive problems that were progressively getting worse.

The boy had gotten measles as an infant while living in Afghanistan, where the virushas not been eliminated. (The U.S. couldlose its elimination statusas soon as this year as vaccination rates fall and the virus regains a foothold.)

Doctors wrote that when the boy arrived at the hospital, he couldn't speak and his body's muscle reflexes weren't working normally — signs of significant neurological problems. He was diagnosed with SSPE. Within a year of his first symptoms, he died.

Before measles was eliminated in the U.S., the CDC estimated that7 to 11 people out of every 100,000 were at risk for SSPE. That risk may be higher in people infected with measles before their second birthday.

Read More

Trump approves disaster assistance to DC to help with sewage spill into Potomac River

February 21, 2026
Trump approves disaster assistance to DC to help with sewage spill into Potomac River

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump has approved emergency assistance to Washington, D.C., to help the city addressa sewage system leakthat dumped at least250 million gallons of raw sewageinto the Potomac River.

Associated Press

The Federal Emergency Management Agency announced Trump's approval on Saturday, allowing FEMA to provide equipment and resources to help with the response to the Jan. 19 spill after a pipeline ruptured.

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowserhad requested the federal help on Wednesdayand declared an emergency.

Trump's approval of the disaster relief request comes after he criticized the handling of the spill, blaming local Democratic leaders and focusing especially on Maryland's Democratic Gov. Wes Moore.

Advertisement

He said in his social media posts criticizing the response that local officials had not asked for emergency help and he intended to step in.

However, the federal government was already involved in the repair and assessing the impact of the leak through the Environmental Protection Agency.

The 72-inch (183 centimeter) pipeline, known as the Potomac Interceptor, burst on Jan. 19, sending 250 million gallons of untreated sewage into the Potomac River just north of Washington in the first five days.

The leak is largely under control, but it could take months to repair the pipe fully. The local water utility, DC Water, along with the EPA, has been working to repair the leak and monitor the impact on the river.

Officials have said the area's drinking water is safe, but people who use the Potomac River for recreation are being cautioned not to have direct contact with the water.

Read More

A timeline of US strikes on boats that have killed at least 148

February 21, 2026
A timeline of US strikes on boats that have killed at least 148

The US military has killed at least 148 people in strikes that have destroyed 44 boats as part of a campaign that Washington says is aimed at curtailing the flow of drugs into the United States, according to official announcements and CNN's analysis of search and rescue efforts. There have been at least 13 survivors of those strikes, two of whom were briefly detained by the US Navy before being returned to their home countries. 11 others are presumed dead after searches did not locate them in the water.

CNN This grid of images shows 10 of the incidents in which the US military has targeted boats in international waters, from September 2 to October 29. - Pete Hegseth/X/Donald Trump/Truth Social

The US Coast Guard launched a search for an unspecified number of survivors who abandoned ship before their vessels were struck on December 30 in international waters. The Coast Guard suspended its search on January 2. Officials subsequently said there had been eight survivors they were attempting to locate. The Coast Guard similarly launched searches for survivors of boat strikes on October 27, January 23 and February 9, but all three searches were suspended without locating the men.

The Trump administration has told Congress that the US is now in an "armed conflict" against drug cartels beginning with its first strike on September 2, labeling those killed "unlawful combatants" and claiming the ability to engage in lethal strikes without judicial reviewdue to a classified Justice Department finding.

Some members of Congress as well as human rights groups have questioned that finding and argued that potential drug traffickers should face prosecution, as had been the policy of interdiction carried out by the US before President Donald Trump took office.

Advertisement

The Trump administration has also not provided public evidence of the presence of narcotics on the boats struck, nor their affiliation with drug cartels.

Military officials have said that no US service members have been harmed in the strikes.

This story has been updated with additional reporting.

For more CNN news and newsletters create an account atCNN.com

Read More