BRAVE MAG

ShowBiz & Sports

Hot

Saturday, November 29, 2025

Suspect in National Guard attack struggled with 'periods of dark isolation,' community member says

November 29, 2025
Suspect in National Guard attack struggled with 'periods of dark isolation,' community member says

The Afghan man accused ofgunning down two National Guardmembers blocks from the White House last week had been unraveling for years, unable to hold a job and flipping between long, lightless stretches of isolation and taking sudden weeks-long cross-country drives. His behavior deteriorated so sharply that a community advocate reached out to a refugee organization for help, fearing he was becoming suicidal.

Emails obtained by The Associated Press reveal mounting warnings about the suspect, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, an asylum seeker whose erratic conduct raised alarms long before the attack that jolted the nation's capital on the eve of Thanksgiving. The previously unreported concerns offer the clearest picture yet of how he was struggling in his new life in the United States.

Even so, when the community member who works with Afghan families in Washington state saw on the news that Lakanwal was named as the suspect in the National Guard shooting, they said they were stunned, unable to square the violence with the memory of seeing Lakanwal play with his young sons. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity to share undisclosed details while cooperating with the FBI in its investigation.

West Virginia National Guard Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, 24, were critically wounded in what officials described as an ambush attack onWednesday afternoon, and Beckstrom died from her injuries the next day. Investigators are still working to establish a motive for the attack.

Lakanwal, 29, has been charged with first-degree murder.

In Afghanistan, Lakanwal worked in a special Afghan Army unit known as a Zero Unit. The units were backed by the CIA. He entered the U.S. in 2021 throughOperation Allies Welcome,a program that evacuated and resettled tens of thousands of Afghans after the U.S. withdrawal from the country, many of whom had worked alongside U.S. troops and diplomats.

He resettled with his wife and their five sons, all under the age of 12, in Bellingham, Washington — but struggled, according to the community member, who shared emails that had been sent to the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants, a nonprofit group that provides services to refugees.

"Rahmanullah has not been functional as a person, father and provider since March of last year, 03/2023. He quit his job that month, and his behavior has changed greatly," the person wrote in a January 2024 email.

The emails described a man who was struggling to assimilate, unable to hold a steady job or commit to his English courses while he alternated between "periods of dark isolation and reckless travel." Sometimes, he spent weeks in his "darkened room, not speaking to anyone, not even his wife or older kids." At one point in 2023, the family faced eviction after months of not paying rent.

The community member said in an interview that they became worried that Lakanwal was so depressed that he would end up harming himself, but they did not see any indication that he would commit violence against another person.

Lakanwal's family members often resorted to sending his toddler sons into his room to bring him the phone or messages because he would not respond to anyone else, one email stated. A couple of times, when his wife left him with the kids for a week to travel to visit relatives, the children would not be bathed, their clothes would not be changed, and they would not eat well. Their school raised concerns about the situation.

But then, there were "interim" weeks where Lakanwal would try to make amends and "do the right things," according to the email, re-engaging with the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services as was mandated by the terms of his entry into the U.S.

"But that has quickly evolved into 'manic' episodes for one or two weeks at a time, where he will take off in the family car, and drive nonstop," the email outlined. Once, he went to Chicago, and another time, to Arizona.

Jeanine Pirro, the U.S. attorney in Washington, D.C., said this past week that Lakanwal drove across the country from Bellingham, about 80 miles (130 kilometers) north of Seattle, to the nation's capital to execute his attack.

In response to the two emails, the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants or USCRI, visited Bellingham a few weeks later in March 2024 and attempted to make contact with Lakanwal and his family, according to the community member, who, after not receiving any updates, was left with the impression that he refused their assistance.

A request for comment and clarification from USCRI was not immediately returned.

Read More

Thousands in Philippines protest corruption and demand return of stolen funds from flood projects

November 29, 2025
Thousands in Philippines protest corruption and demand return of stolen funds from flood projects

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Thousands of demonstrators including from the Roman Catholic church clergy protested in the Philippines on Sunday, calling for the swift prosecution of top legislators and officials implicated in a corruption scandal that has buffeted the Asian democracy.

Left-wing groups led a separate protest in Manila's main park with a blunt demand for all implicated government officials to immediately resign and face prosecution.

President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.has been scrambling to quellpublic outrageover the massive corruption blamed for substandard, defective or non-existent flood control projects across an archipelago long prone todeadly floodingandextreme weatherin tropical Asia.

More than 17,000 police officers were deployed in metropolitan Manila to secure the separate protests. The Malacanang presidential palace complex in Manila was in a security lockdown with key access roads and bridges blocked by anti-riot police forces, trucks and barbed wire railings.

In a deeply divided democracy wheretwo presidentshave been separately overthrown in the last 39 years partly over allegations of plunder, there have been isolated calls for the military to withdraw support from the Marcos administration.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines has steadfastly rejected such calls and welcomed on Sunday a statement signed by at least 88 mostly retired generals, including three military chiefs of staff, who said they "strongly condemn and reject any call for the Armed Forces of the Philippines to engage in unconstitutional acts or military adventurism."

"The unified voice of our retired and active leaders reaffirms that the Armed Forces of the Philippines remains a pillar of stability and a steadfast guardian of democracy," the military said in a statement.

Roman Catholic churches across the country helped lead Sunday's anti-corruption protests in their districts, with the main daylong rally being held at a pro-democracy "people power" monument along EDSA highway in the capital region. Police said about 5,000 demonstrators mostly wearing white joined before noon.

They demanded that members of Congress, officials and construction company owners behind thousands of anomalous flood control projects in recent years be imprisoned and ordered to return the government funds they stole. A protester wore a shirt with a blunt message: "No mercy for the greedy."

"If money is stolen, that's a crime, but if dignity and lives are taken away, these are sins against fellow human beings, against the country but, most importantly, against God," said theRev. Flavie Villanueva, a Catholic priest, who has helped many families of impoverished drug suspects killed under former President Rodrigo Duterte's crackdowns.

"Jail all the corrupt and jail all the killers," Villanueva told the crowd of protesters.

Since Marcos first raised alarm over the flood control anomalies in his state of the nation address before Congress in July, at least seven public works officers have beenjailedfor illegal use of public funds and other graft charges in one flood control project anomaly alone. Executives of Sunwest Corp., a construction firm involved in the project, were being sought.

On Friday, Henry Alcantara, a former government engineer who has acknowledged under oath in Senate inquiry hearings his involvement in the anomalies, returned 110 million pesos ($1.9 million) in kickbacks that justice officials said he stole and promised to return more in a few weeks.

About 12 billion pesos ($206 million) worth of assets of suspects in flood control anomalies have been frozen by authorities, Marcos said.

Marcos has pledged that many of at least 37 powerful senators, members of Congress and wealthy construction executives implicated in the corruption scandal would be in jailby Christmas.

Protesters in Sunday's rallies said many more officials, including implicated senators and House of Representatives members, should be jailed sooner and ordered to return the funds they stole and used to finance fleets of private jets and luxury cars, mansions and extravagant lifestyles.

Joeal Calupitan and Aaron Favila contributed to this report.

Read More

Ukraine says it hit Russian ‘shadow fleet’ tankers with underwater drones in Black Sea

November 29, 2025
Flames and thick smoke rise from a tanker after blasts struck two vessels from Russia's shadow fleet in the Black Sea, in this image released November 28. - Turkish Directorate General for Maritime Affairs/Handout/Reuters

Ukrainianunderwater drones have struck two tankers belonging to Russia's so-called shadow fleet in the Black Sea, according to an official in Ukraine's security services (SBU).

Ukraineclaimed the attacks after explosions hit the two vessels on Friday and Saturday.

A Ukrainian security source told CNN that Sea Baby maritime drones had been used in a joint operation by the SBU and the navy. There was no immediate comment from Russia.

Both tankers sustained critical damage, the source said, and were effectively taken out of service. "This will deal a significant blow to the transportation of Russian oil."

Russia uses hundreds of tankers – many sailing under different flags of convenience – to ship its oil to customers in defiance of sanctions.

The Gambian-flagged tanker Virat was attacked again on Saturday, after first sustaining damage on Friday, according to Turkey's Transport Ministry.

Minor damage was sustained above the waterline, according to Turkish maritime authorities, and there was no fire. The vessel is some 30 miles (50 kilometers) off the Turkish coast. Ship tracking data showed it slowing and turning towards the coast late on Friday.

"There is no request from the personnel to abandon the ship," the Turkish Transport ministry said, but a fire-fighting tugboat had been sent to the scene.

The Turkish foreign ministry expressed concern over the attacks, which "posed serious risks to the safety of navigation, life, property, and the environment in the region."

The Virat's destination was unclear. Shipping data showed it awaiting orders in the Black Sea. It was sanctioned by the United States in January when it sailed under a different name, and by the United Kingdom and European Union later this year.

There was also an explosion on another ship that carries Russian crude oil in a nearby part of the Black Sea on Friday. All 25 crew members on board that tanker, the Gambian- flagged Kairos, were evacuated. Neither vessel was in Turkish waters when they were hit.

Video showed Turkish tugs tackling an extensive fire on board the ship about 30 miles off the Turkish coast. On Saturday the Turkish Transport ministry said that a fire on the open deck of the Kairos had been extinguished.

The Kairos is 275 meters long and weighs nearly 80,000 tons. It was sanctioned by the EU earlier this year and left an Indian port earlier this month to return to the Russian Black Sea port of Novorossiysk.

Earlier this year, several unexplained explosions occurred on ships that have carried oil for Russia from the Black Sea.

Both the Virat and the Kairos had transited the Bosphorus Strait into the Black Sea. Other ships also sanctioned for carrying Russian crude oil were traveling the same route, according to shipping data on Saturday.

There was also an attack by a marine drone early Saturday on a mooring point at the Russian port of Novorossiysk in the Black Sea, according to the Caspian Pipeline Consortium.

The pipeline carries oil from Kazakhstan – through Russia – to customers overseas. Kazakhstan's Energy ministry said it had "activated a plan to redirect export oil volumes to alternative routes" after the strike.

Novorossiysk has been attacked by Ukrainian drones multiple times. CNN has reached out to Ukraine's security services for comment.

For more CNN news and newsletters create an account atCNN.com

Read More